Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Way back when

The young man in the picture is my son Shawn. He is about 10 or 11 in the photo and turned 30 this year. The mare in the photo I was given as a gift when she was a 3 yr old. When I gifted her to a little girl 2 year's ago Edith was 24 years old. This horse was a part of my life for 21 years.

Edith started out by earning her name. You see she was coined "Edith" after the character Edith Bunker in an old show called "All in the Family" Edith Bunker was the ditzy wife of Archie Bunker (Carol O'Connor) who he usually referred to as "Ding Bat"

Edith in her younger years was indeed the "Ding Bat", she was spooky, and explosively so. Not over the "normal" things that bother horses, but over things that normally don't. So...she was always catching you off guard with her reactions. As it was I never could figure out why I kept her other than she was such a gorgeous horse, built like a tank, smooth to ride, and had a world class pedigree including two AQHA champions one of which was only the 2nd horse in the history of the breed to syndicate for an excess of two million dollars. AQHA's Tardy Too.

I put up with her antics for I'm not sure how many years, but in the end believe it or not Edith (the Ding Bat) morphed into a very reliable child's mount. She not only taught all my own kids (7 total) how to ride, she was the favorite pick of my riding students that has progressed past the starter horse "Lazy Bayzee" Since I had her for so long there will be many a post here including Edith. I hope this introduction to her will keep you interested in her journey with us. Two years ago I placed her with a friend who is the manager of a humane pet shelter who's tiny and timid daughter needed something safe to start on and build confidence with. I get updates once in awhile, and as expected she loves her as much as we do.

For me it was time to let the old grey mare finally go. It was the perfect re-home for her, and after all these years she deserved to finish out her days getting the hugs and kisses from an adoring little girl again.

No comments:

Post a Comment