Wednesday, August 17, 2011

One that didn't fit in our program

Gorgeous isnt he? And this isn't even a good picture of this horse. Zoro as he was named came to us as part of a trade deal on two Haflinger geldings I bought that didn't fit my program either. I sold the Haffies and took Zoro in as a partial trade. The Haflingers were more forward that what I wanted for a carriage horse ( they had previously been Amish farm ponies) and I sold them to a guy that wanted something smaller than the two drafts he had to drive. Zoro was one of those drafts. As it was he was a 12-13 yr old and had only been driven team. He was not taking well to the idea of working on his own.

After many attempts to come to a meeting of the minds with him line driving single I realized we were not making any major progress and decided to send him off for under saddle training. According the the professional trainer I sent him to he never got comfortable with that either. So as it was Zoro was just not going to progress with the amount of time I had available to devote to only him. You see I have two young mares that need worked too and they progress in leaps and bounds every time I hitch them. I also care for my 85 yr old invalid mother so my "free" time is precious. That and two teen daughters, plus a college age son and well....you get the picture. Someday I will have the time to devote to a horse like Zoro, but its not a reality for me now.

So...I gave him away. That's right, gave. A perfectly sound, healthy horse. Not to mention with looks to kill. After putting the word out that he was free to the right home my lady farrier Lilly Ice had some friends that she felt had the time and skills to do a good job with him. I met with them and determined that they were indeed the right "family" for Zoro. From the updates I've received he is doing well for them and they are thrilled to have him. He has a new name now ( guess they didn't like Zoro), but he is loved and even has his own facebook page!

While I prefer not to change a name on an older horse I know is used to the one he has, the important thing is the horse has bonded to the people and they to him. He was never a bad horse, just one that needed more time and effort that I had time for. For sake of being realistic I will also do a post on a horse that really was a she devil and tell you her story too.

No comments:

Post a Comment