Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Holy S**T! its a loooong way to the ground!


This photo is about 18 months old and is a picture of me riding my then 2 yr old Percheron mare Duchess in the round pen for the second time anyone had ever been on her back. Duchess was a purchase I made on the advise of an online friend when asked " where can I buy a grey Percheron not too far from me" Kris sent me to see Robert Sparrow, son of Dick Sparrow the Belgian draft horse man that was famous for touring the US with his 48 horse hitch. Robert had grown up in draft horses and even toured with his father and the famous hitch. Somewhere along the line he switched from Belgians to Percheron's telling me that he just liked them better.

Duchess was well started driving with a team mate. I on the other hand wanted her for single driving. So getting her comfortable with that was going to be my problem. As it turned out it wasn't a problem at all, as was nothing else is I throw at her. She is one laid back young horse! Its a good thing too because she is as big as a moose! I am sure now very near if not 18 hands now as a 4 yr old. Duchess's personality is the polar opposite that Edith's was as a young horse. Now that I too am 20+ years older now than I was when Edith was a filly I am really, really, happy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment